Monday 13 September 2010

Electric Holyland Compilation

Electric Holyland



For my first ever review I thought where better to start than my most recent acquisition. From the moment this little beauty dropped through my letterbox (or rather was handed to me by Mr Postman) I felt more eager than usual to get it open and on to the record player.  I'm not sure whether this was because of the extremely beautiful cover art, the sheer bizarreness of content etched on to this shiny black piece of wax, the concept of it all, or the hype that my own imagination had built up around it.  Let's just say I had a feeling that this was going to be good.

Let me put it to you like this: Have you ever been walking down the street, searching through you particular favourite brand of mp3 player for something, but not finding anything that is quite right? "What I really fancy" you think "is a dose of drum heavy, fuzzed out, psychedelic, god rock" - Well have you?  I certainly have not, I did not even consider for a moment that such a thing would even exist!  But it does and even better than that, some kind soul has waded (chest deep no doubt) through the vast pile of shite that I'm sure must reside in the realm of Christian Rock to bring you the most drum heavy, fuzz drenched, obscure  heaviest and most bizarrely wonderful Jesus rock gems from the 60's and 70's.

What on earth (or in the heavens above for that matter) made these freaky Jesus loving flower power evangelists break away from the more traditional formula of chrisian music and push the boundaries so far out in to the stratosphere I do not know, but one thing I can tell you is that I'm glad that they did! No doubt recorded in small studios and privately pressed in limited numbers the LPs in their original form are certainly obscure, rare and collectable, and the very nature of their content has left them overlooked by music lovers and record collectors alike. But no more! As Electric Holyland has just thundered in to town carrying a giant payload of Blues, Soul, Psychedelics, Acid Folk and Gospel.

However if you what you have read so far has tickled your fancy. If right at this moment your feet are itching to boogie on down to some of this obscure brand of breakbeat, psychedelic, genre bending, Halleluja soul rock then you had better be quick because this cracking compilation has been pressed in almost as limited numbers as the original LP's from which it draws its very essence. Only 500! Yes 500 have been pressed and all have been hand numbered.
Mine is number 297. Will you be able to find one?

Praise be brothers, praise be!!

Tracklist

The New Folk - Love comes down
Barrie Hobbie, Johanna Black & Sweet Destiny - Get Down On Your Knees
First Revelation - Where Could I Go
Wild Olive Branch Band -  High Times, Low Times
Earthen Vessel - Ive Been Walkin'
Shekina Glory - Ask
The Jesus Band - Jesus Is Mighty To Save
The Ark - Sidewalk Preacherman
Children Of The Lamb - Decisions
Renacimiento - Date Cuenta
Paul Clark - Jesus Is My Great Shephard
The Four Corner Gospel Experience - Put Your Spirit Inside Of Me

Sidewalk Preacher 


Love Comes Down

I've Been Walkin'


No comments:

Post a Comment